We’re changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we’re a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it’s a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that’s just what we’re doing today. We’re thinking about the future, too. With teams working on new modalities, self-driving cars and even urban air transportation, we’re in for the long haul. We’re reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
As a Software Engineer on Uber’s Sofia Engineering team you will dig into the complex but rewarding world of money, real-time tax calculation, and reporting, all at massive scale. Our work helps our partners be globally compliant and Uber be competitive in a highly regulated and complex industries such as transportation, logistics, and food.
What You’ll Do
- Contribute at a global level. Although we are based in Sofia, we work on integration for the overall, global Uber platform. Our systems support the entirety of Uber’s tax and compliance worldwide.
- Manage scale & reliability. Our solutions support Uber’s always-on marketplace. Maintaining this platform at scale requires constant investment in security, reliability and monitoring tooling.
- Innovate. Growth brings new complexity and new challenges every day.
What You’ll Need
- Intimate knowledge of the entire web stack and how each piece impacts performance and reliability
- Advanced knowledge of at least one programming language, and of OOP patterns
- Commitment to quality, performance, and efficiency
- Experience in taking ownership
- Design and business insight
- Some level of understanding of fault-tolerant systems and multi-datacenter / cloud architectures
- Experience with continuous integration & deployment
About the Team
Our team is responsible for several key capabilities associated with a trip or a delivery: from real-time tax rate calculation, to issuing all related documents that are important for our riders and partners (receipts, invoices, tax reports), to providing our partners with real-time and easy access to their tax data from within 3rd party partner applications like Intuit, Stride and HR Block. The platforms that we build need to be highly scalable (handling data from dozens of millions of trips per day), highly available (our riders and partners need access to their documents & data 24/7) and highly flexible (Uber is operating in 80+ countries around the world, each with its own compliance requirements)
Visit our Sofia Engineering website here.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.